Skip to main content

John Pomeroy's First Animation!

 John Pomeroy just shared this incredible little animation that he did where he was only 15 years old. He talks about not having any hole punches so had to line up the corners of the paper.
The skill even at this age is just undeniable. I wonder if he closely referenced footage from Sorcerer's apprentice (which would of been difficult if not impossible to do at this time which I think would of been 1966, not much by way of home media)  or did he just create this from memory. 


John Pomeroy is an incredibly skilled animator who started at Disney in 1973 then famously left with Don Bluth and Gary Goldman in 1979 to start making their own films that competed with Disney. He would then later return to Disney in around 1995 to continue his legendary career. The list of characters he has brought to life is almost too big to go through but some personal favs of mine is his work on Princess Daphne, The Great Owl and Milo.




John now runs an Online Learning resource which I have purchased a few videos from and they are excellent. I love his delivery of difficult information, these videos have been very helpful to me. It's wonderful to be able to learn from these guys due to the power of the internet, it makes me feel like I'm continuing on a bit of the legacy of Disney animators.

Animation Lessons | Pomeroy Art Academy


John Pomeroy has such a fascinating drawing style that i think i would benefit from trying to emulate somewhat. Glen Keane beautifully described Pomeroy’s drawing style as being able to kiss the paper with his pencil. You can see how gracefully he moves around the paper in this video of him drawing the character Princess Daphne. 



John Pomeroy has a huge wealth of art worth studying so I'm sure there will be many more posts on his work in the future.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilo and Stitch Deleted scene

 Here’s a beautiful pencil animated scene that was cut from Lilo and Stitch. It’s rather crazy to me that a scene as powerful and important as this, that has been taken this far through production then got cut. The themes are very moving and it’s quite a statement in itself to decide to not include it. Someone had to watch this scene, understand the message and then say “nah let’s not go there”   I’m not sure who the animators were on this, Andreas Deja was main animator for Lilo so that’s not a bad guess, that he might of been involved. I suspect it was multiple animators, as it’s really multiple shots / characters that could be handled by different people. Anyway the animation is superb…

Mushka - the trailer for Andreas Deja’s new film

 Andreas Deja has been working on this beautiful short film about a little girl and a tiger, I don’t know much more about it than that, except he’s been working away on it for many years. I first discovered it when I first stumbled onto his blog and I have been excited to see it ever since. We have now finally got a trailer and it is of course full of beautiful animation. Enjoy! Also check out this teaser from 2012! Gosh it’s been a while, I think I personally learnt of the project in 2017. It really goes to show how long animated projects like this can take.

Character turn around