Skip to main content

Something fun just arrived…

 Check out what just arrived in the mail today. I’m excited to check these out, I’ve enjoyed the few demos and tutorials I’ve followed before from Don Bluth so I’ll be curious to see what he has to share in these dvds. 

Some of this will cover stuff I’ve already done in tutorials from many other teachers like the classic bouncing ball but you can never have too much practice.


Here’s a great video he did on hands, this 4 min video really change the game for me in terms of understanding how to approach hands and get that Milt Kahl feeling, Don Bluth was always praised for his drawing abilities, rising up the Disney ranks from low level inbetweener to full Animator in a very short time. 

I even remember reading a interview Milt did that Andreas Deja shared on his blog where Milt specifically mentioned Don as one of the new guys that he thought was good, Which was high praise from that man. Here’s the article with Milt’s praise for Don… http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interviews/Kahl/Kahl.html


(A fascinating interview by the way)

This video was actually a promo for a full in depth video on his approach to hands which I did end up purchasing however I actually found this 4 min video was the more valuable of information.

The full video was a perk for his Dragon’s Lair pitch which I did contribute to in order to get this tutorial, even though I had access the video is not available anymore but luckily someone shared it online. 


This video offers a great approach to studying hands you will notice he intentionally draws a bit more realistic and is more focused on accurate realistic drawing which makes sense as that’s the foundations you must master before moving into stylisation however you can learn that from many other instructors (Proko or Watts atelier comes to mind.) what I think really set Don apart is that he could draw in that Milt Kahl style and that’s the more interesting stuff to me and I feel the video was a little too light on this aspect though he does try to show a stylised pass I just think they way he summed it up and gave a really actionable technique in that first 4 minute video was far more eye opening to me.

Unfortunately there was also an eye tutorials but that seems lost to time unless anyone else managed to save it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilo and Stitch Deleted scene

 Here’s a beautiful pencil animated scene that was cut from Lilo and Stitch. It’s rather crazy to me that a scene as powerful and important as this, that has been taken this far through production then got cut. The themes are very moving and it’s quite a statement in itself to decide to not include it. Someone had to watch this scene, understand the message and then say “nah let’s not go there”   I’m not sure who the animators were on this, Andreas Deja was main animator for Lilo so that’s not a bad guess, that he might of been involved. I suspect it was multiple animators, as it’s really multiple shots / characters that could be handled by different people. Anyway the animation is superb…

Mushka - the trailer for Andreas Deja’s new film

 Andreas Deja has been working on this beautiful short film about a little girl and a tiger, I don’t know much more about it than that, except he’s been working away on it for many years. I first discovered it when I first stumbled onto his blog and I have been excited to see it ever since. We have now finally got a trailer and it is of course full of beautiful animation. Enjoy! Also check out this teaser from 2012! Gosh it’s been a while, I think I personally learnt of the project in 2017. It really goes to show how long animated projects like this can take.

Character turn around