Skip to main content

My first paper animation

So far all my 2d animation practice and work has be done digitally. I have owned a peg bar and disk for a while but not knowing what I was doing, I bought the cheapest, largest paper available at the time. I had no idea the mistake this was for a beginner. So I’ve had a huge stack of really cheap flimsy 16 field paper that I just have really struggled to use. 

As I’ve worked through more tutorials I’ve learnt even good quality 16 field can be difficult to flip and beginners are recommended to go smaller, also because my paper is so thin and flimsy the paper just buckles and collapses on its self as you try to flip. I’ve since bought some high quality 12f paper and the difference is night and day, I was really working in hard mode.

All that said because I have so much of this flimsy paper I don’t want it to go to waste so I’m using it more for general drawing practice. Yesterday I sketched out a quick drawing of Chun Li from Street Fighter and well, before I knew it I had stuck another page down and another and was animating a little crouch movement. And I did it all on the massive terrible paper, it was hard work and the were areas which no matter how I hard I tried I just couldn’t see when flipping because of the flimsy paper buckling. However I finished my first ever animation on paper! It’s a little janky in places but I’m really proud!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lilo and Stitch Deleted scene

 Here’s a beautiful pencil animated scene that was cut from Lilo and Stitch. It’s rather crazy to me that a scene as powerful and important as this, that has been taken this far through production then got cut. The themes are very moving and it’s quite a statement in itself to decide to not include it. Someone had to watch this scene, understand the message and then say “nah let’s not go there”   I’m not sure who the animators were on this, Andreas Deja was main animator for Lilo so that’s not a bad guess, that he might of been involved. I suspect it was multiple animators, as it’s really multiple shots / characters that could be handled by different people. Anyway the animation is superb…

Mushka - the trailer for Andreas Deja’s new film

 Andreas Deja has been working on this beautiful short film about a little girl and a tiger, I don’t know much more about it than that, except he’s been working away on it for many years. I first discovered it when I first stumbled onto his blog and I have been excited to see it ever since. We have now finally got a trailer and it is of course full of beautiful animation. Enjoy! Also check out this teaser from 2012! Gosh it’s been a while, I think I personally learnt of the project in 2017. It really goes to show how long animated projects like this can take.

Character turn around